Great Officiants

Fun and Romantic Weddings
Close this search box.

How to change your name after the wedding

name change

I Just Got Married, I recieved my certified copies from the county clerks office, How do I change my Name?

This information is for California residents only. 

If you live in another state or country you will need to contact them directly for information

1st go to Social Security (SSA)

2nd go to DMV.
You should do it in that order. See below for further instructions.

Social Security (SSA)

You must fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card. 

The online application may be found here: CLICK HERE FOR SOCIAL SECURITY FORM 

Take your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

You must show the required documents:
• Recorded Marriage Certificate (NOT the customer copy)
• Current form of ID: a U.S. State ID, U.S. Driver’s License, OR U.S. Passport.

Please also note: If you have not already established U.S. citizenship with SSA, you will need to show proof of this; SSA will accept the following as proof of citizenship: original U.S. birth certificate OR U.S. passport.

California DMV

To change your name on your California driver’s license or ID you will need to visit your local DMV office and:
Complete a Driver License or ID card Application (Form DL 44).
Get the form in person at the DMV or have it mailed to you by calling (800) 777-0133.
Provide your marriage certificate as your proof of name change.
Surrender your old CA driver’s license or ID.
You will also need to pay a fee of $27 or $29.


Scroll to Top