So you want to get a marriage license? Read the information below so you are properly prepared to get your license easily.
You both MUST appear TOGETHER at the same place and the same time.
Both MUST be over 18. (If under 18 contact the County)
If you were Married, Divorced or in a Domestic Partnership (with a different person) in the last two (2) years a copy of your divorce decree, annulment, or SDRP (domestic partnership) disolution will be required. It MUST have the Court Stamp and Final Disolution Date on it.
NO Blood Tests are required. (that was more that 20 years ago)
You MUST have current valid identification.
The forms of identification MUST contain both the photo and birthdate and are not expired.
There is NO residence or citizenship status requirement.
You DO NOT need to live in California, Los Angeles or the United States to obtain a marriage license.
Anyone from Anywhere in the world with proper valid Identification can get married in California.
Each Person Must bring ONE (1) of the following idenity documents:
NOTE: ALL IDENTIFCATION MUST BE CURRENT AND NOT EXPIRED.
NOTE: EXPIRED ID WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN ANY CASE
NOTE: PHOTO COPY OF ID CAN NEVER BE ACCEPTED
Acceptable Forms of Identification for Marriage License must have: Photograph and Birth Date
- State Driver’s License or State Identification Card.
- Military Service ID (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard)
- Passport or Passport Card (US) or International Passport.A.) Must be valid and not expired B.) If passport is NOT in English, translation is required and must be notarized. C.) If Passport expired but Visa is valid, it is still NOT acceptable
- Permanent Registration Alien Card and Certificate of Naturalization. (Border Crossing Card is NOT acceptable)
- Matricula Consular: for Argentina, Mexico, Peru, and Korea do not require a Birth Certificate
- Consular Card: for other countries will require a birth certificate. (Translated/Notarized required, if not in english)**
**Will be acceptable only if all of required information is on card, such as date of birth and picture. If required, we have a translation service that we use for the birth certificates The additional fee is $100 and must be paid up front.We will then send the birth certificate for translation, which takes about 1 week. it it is needed sooner a rush fee will be assessed. We will notify you when the translation is complete.